Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Mystery bugs


Any ideas what these bugs are? I found them on Saturday at a local park and also on the goldenrod at home. I can't put a name to them and it's making me a little (more) batty (than usual). I spent a wonderful few hours looking through the images on Bug Guide, but found nothing to match. I don't have a good insect guide, so I usually turn to online sources when I'm stumped. Bug Guide is useful for someone like me who doesn't know bugs - a neat feature is that you can search by the flower or plant that an insect is found on. A search for goldenrod brings up a hungry community of insects. None who look like these, unfortunately. I tried browsing through the images using those scary scientific terms that I never learned properly in school, but didn't get very far that way, either. I just don't know enough. So before I write them and request an ID on what is probably a common insect, I thought I'd throw the question out to you guys. Anyone know what these are? They're very pretty and have wings. ;-)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wild guess that is likely wrong: this critter reminds me of a displaced ladybug larva, but my brain is still orbiting ... hmmmm.

Thanks for the cool bug guide site!

Susan Gets Native said...

I found it for you, dearie.
Ailanthus Webworm Moth

What a pretty bug! It's so great that you are observant! Look what we would miss!

LauraHinNJ said...

How did you do that so quickly?

???

My mistake was not realizing this was a moth!

Thanks dearie.

;-)

Susan Gets Native said...

My hubby does alot of internet research for his articles and books, and he's taught me how to search in new ways.

Totally off the subject:
Have you seen the Skittles commercial with the singing rabbit? It was just on, and I thought of you.

LauraHinNJ said...

Nope, haven't seen it, but will look for it.

So, will you share your secret search strings??

Pam in Tucson said...

Glad you got it identified. Sure is pretty!

John B. said...

That is a pretty insect. I do not think I have seen one before.

Susan Gets Native said...

If I gave away all my secrets, I wouldn't be able to amaze and stupify my blog friends anymore!
;-)

LauraHinNJ said...

Pam: It is pretty, isn't it!

Sharon: Hi! Thanks for the guess, but I don't think ladybug larva have wings? I love that site, too. Good way to spend a couple hours!

John: Check anearby goldenrod patch. ;-)

Susan: Thump!

The Swami said...

Frankenbunny

Beware of bunnies, especially after you check out this article:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369688-details/Scientists+to+create+'frankenbunny'+in+big+research+leap/article.do

Madcap said...

It's certainly attractive, whatever its name is.

Anonymous said...

Amazing insect. I would never have guessed it was a moth either.

LauraHinNJ said...

I've been a bit taken aback by my first visit from The Swami. I'm surprised that he visits here without having left a comment previously. His link made me a little sad - why are rabbits so often used for research? Why not Yaks?

;-)

Madcap: Pretty for it's own sake.

Threecollie: Hi! Don't the wings look too *hard* to be a moth?

DKM: I still haven't seen this commercial, but I hardly watch tv.

LauraHinNJ said...

Laura: It is a magnet at this time of year!