Friday, April 06, 2007

Just a minute


"Just a minute," said a voice in the weeds.
So I stood still
in the day's exquisite early morning light
and so I didn't crush with my great feet
any small or unusual thing just happening to pass by
where I was passing by
on my way to the blueberry fields,
and maybe it was the toad
and maybe it was the June beetle
and maybe it was the pink and tender worm
who does his work without limbs or eyes
and does it well
or maybe it was the walking stick, still frail
and walking humbly by, looking for a tree,
or maybe, like Blake's wondrous meeting, it was
the elves, carrying one of their own
on a rose-petal coffin away, away
into the deep grasses. After awhile
the quaintest voice said, "Thank you." And then there was silence.
For the rest, I would keep you wondering."

-- Mary Oliver

6 comments:

Mary said...

That woman, Mary Oliver, is wonderful! Laura, you feed us with lovely stuff every day. I'm going to treat myself to her book real soon.

Your photos compliment everything you post!

Anonymous said...

This is wonderful and I agree with Mary, this photo is wonderful with this!

somebunnysloveDOTcom said...

I really do enjoy how you match your photos with the appropriate poetry and prose.
=:8

Unknown said...

Awesome!!!

Maggie said...

Love that stop and smell the flowers sentiment. I am not up on my poets but I did enjoy this one!!

Cathy said...

Mary Oliver. Thank you for this, Laura. I've several of her books - but I don't recall this delight.