Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Grounds for sculpture

Art, especially contemporary art, is not really my thing. It's not ever felt accessible to me. It puzzles me, mostly, or makes me laugh sometimes, but I've always felt that I'm somehow missing the point.

Save for a few pleasant experiences in Spain, sculpture displayed in stuffy museums or galleries doesn't interest me. Set that artwork against a backdrop of autumn's finest colors and well... I'm there!

I took advantage of the day off, overpaid government employee that I am, and, after doing my civic duty, visited the
Grounds For Sculpture in Hamilton. It was a perfect day for a stroll through the grounds to enjoy what is also a fine garden and arboretum. The fall colors were gorgeous.

Here's some favorite views:

This made me smile!

October Gathering by Joan Danziger... I really liked this one, though the scale was tiny compared to many of the others.

Gorgeous colors in the background here...

On Poppied Hill by Seward Johnson

Lintel by Emilie Benes Brzezinski

More pics to come...

11 comments:

John B. said...

I think the most interesting sculptures at the Hamilton sculpture garden are the ones that put famous paintings into three dimensions.

NCmountainwoman said...

Lovely. I so much enjoy various sculptures. Thanks for sharing these with us.

z-silverlight said...

Art is a viseral and emotional thing.
Autumn Gathering is mystic and has many meanings.

Ruth said...

Looks like an interesting place to visit. Lovely setting for the sculptures.

bobbie said...

Delightful. I would like to visit there.

KGMom said...

Looks like a great place for sculpture, and the pieces look approachable.
What more could you ask--a day off, the great outdoors, and a touch of art.

Beth in NYC said...

Lovely pictures and the fall colors are the perfect backdrop to the art. This is another place I need to add to my list of "to visits."

Another place you might try, although a little bit of a hike from you is the Bear Mountain Art Center, not far from West Point, NY. It's another outdoor art collection and the works are beautiful, whimsical and sometimes inspire the quizzical. :-) Definitely a place to go on a beautiful day, autumn or otherwise.

Mary said...

You chose the best way to spend your time off! What fun to laugh, analyze, and enjoy unusual art.

Anonymous said...

Wow, glad you had the day off. Your photos are wonderful. Looks like a neat place.

RuthieJ said...

What a pretty place. You still have some great fall color hanging on too.

Susan Gets Native said...

We have a "sculpture park" near us that is pretty similar to what you are showing us here.
Walking along in the woods and suddenly you are staring at a 15 foot sculpture that somehow fits.