Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Clouds

All afternoon, Sir,
your ambassadors have been turning
into lakes and rivers.
At first they were just clouds, like any other.
Then they swelled and swirled; then they hung very still;
then they broke open. This is, I suppose,
just one of the common miracles,
a transformation, not a vision,
not an answer, not a proof, but I put it
there, close against my heart, where the need is, and it serves

the purpose. I go on, soaked through, my hair
slicked back;
like corn, or wheat, shining and useful.

Clouds by Mary Oliver

I wonder if it'd been raining for a month straight when Mary Oliver wrote this poem.

;-)

The sky cleared early this evening and the light was just gorgeous the way it lit up the tips of the oak leaves, the white of the kingbird's tail feathers, the sand at the edge of the ocean.

3 comments:

KGMom said...

I think you have had rain longer than we. Rain finally quit about 4 days ago, and now it's pushing up toward 90.
I got out of the habit of watering flowers, with all the rain, and last evening noticed a couple of pots had wilted flowers.
Hope you get some good sun tomorrow.

RG said...

Yes . I have heard/seen several folks along the East coast wondering if they had been moved to Seattle!

Actually we just finally got measurable rain after 29 days with none!!!!

(sorry - again)

Pablo said...

I've been in nearby NYC all week, dodging raindrops. Looks like a fair day today though.