Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Swapping the sun

October used to mean the last sunny Saturdays on the beach, the last warm days to throw open the windows, the last long rays of light. Life moved indoors to soup, flannel sheets and listening to the wind howl outside for a couple months.

It's not that way here; summer is the time to hide indoors with the windows shut against the blasting heat. I look forward to being able to enjoy time outdoors again without being drenched in sweat!

The earth still goes through her beautiful old cycle of change this month, however. Gone will be the sexy green heat and the cabaret act of summer. The sun's glaring footlights are swapped for a mellow gold moon. October's perfume is fallen leaves and wood smoke with a hint of apples. There will be chili again (and split-pea soup... hurrah!) and baseball for the hometown team (go Braves!)

What are you most looking forward to?

7 comments:

Mary said...

October was always chilling in Maryland. We might have turned the heat on by now. October 1 - A/C is running again after a week of 70s and chilly nights in Charlotte. The season will change by Thanksgiving, we expect. Lovely post, Laura.

Todd said...

Monarch flights, pumpkins (squash actually), fall foliage, and the change in the hue of sunlight. All things orange it would seem. But I'll take my fall soup warm and yummy but not orange please.

Jayne said...

I think I just simply love everything slowing down and getting ready to be still for a while. I adore the cooler temps and just the feel of the breeze while leaves fall. It's a reprieve from the heat before everything goes to sleep for the winter. (So happy to be able to cheer you on my friend!)

RG said...

Our Katsura tree smelling like roasting marshmallows and the first ham 'n potato soup - (day before yesterday in the big Pac NW storms!!!)

Carolyn H said...

I love what you did to your photo, today! I love October, and what I remember is that the leaves uses to be down before the end of the month, not by the 21st (my birthday) but often within a day or so afterwards. I remember that because I had satellite TV and the trees around my cabin blocked the signal in the summer, and losing the leaves meant I had TV again. But then the leaf drop started happening later and later in the month, finally not happening now until early November. Of course, I have cable for TV and internet now, so I no longer await the leaf drop with the same level of anticipation.

ReluctantChickenFarmer said...

I love fall because I love raking leaves, big piles of them and dragging them to the curb over and over and over just to have the north wind angrily blow them back. Yeah. Love that

LauraHinNJ said...

Mary: Hi! I'll be glad to be done with the AC.

Todd: Orange? I miss the monarch migration here, but supposedly they see good numbers (in good years) at St. Marks NWR - within a days'driving distance from here!

Jayne: Thank you for the cheering! I like the idea of things slowing down, too.

Rabbit's Guy: I don't know that tree... but Tea Olives are blooming here now... do you know it?

Carolyn: Hi! Thanks about the photo... it's of a favorite view along the way to somewhere else.

Funny about the summer leaves forcing you to find other entertainment... how convenient!

Kevin: You can look forward to much the same thing once the snow comes!

Ha!