Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Art is their defense

Great Spangled Fritillary on Butterfly Weed at Deep Cut Gardens


"More than any other group of animals, butterflies look as if they were designed in art school... Butterflies are two pairs of wings flapping about in broad daylight. They don't have teeth or claws. They can't fly very fast. Their abdomens make for a quick snack. Art is their defense." - from An Obsession with Butterflies: Our Long Love Affair with a Singular Insect by Sharman Apt Russell

4 comments:

Susan Gets Native said...

Ya got that right! Butterflies seem to have been invented just to brighten up the yard.
BTW: Since I switched to native plants, we have an explosion of butterflies in our yard. And now I have a book of common Ohio butterflies and skippers and I am actually learning what they all are. Yay, me!

Endment said...

What a beauty!
The words are a perfect choice for the photo.

Anonymous said...

What a great shot. I haven't run across that kind yet. Don't have nearly the variety of butterflies this year, that I have had in the past.
Have you ever tried to get a butterfly to move to another flower, for a better photo?

LauraHinNJ said...

Good luck (especially with the skippers), Susan.

I don't have much variety - monarchs, swallowtails, skippers that all look the same. I haven't seen any Ladies yet - weird! They all love the native flowers best.

Sandy: This was a first for me - I thought it was such a pretty butterfly! I haven't tried moving them ever, just sit and wait and watch and take lots and lots of pics from every angle.