Thursday, April 17, 2008

Poem in your Pocket Day

A favorite from Ted Kooser:

The Bluet

Of all the flowers, the bluet has
the sweetest name, two syllables
that form on the lips, then fall
with a tiny, raindrop splash
into a suddenly bluer morning.

I offer you mornings like that,
fragrant tiny blue blossoms--
each with four petals, each with a star
at its heart. I would give you whole fields
of wild perfume if only

you could be mine, if you were not--
like the foolish bluet (also called
Innocence) - always holding your face
to the fickle, careless, fly by kiss
of the Clouded Sulphur Butterfly.

Bluet image from Hilton Pond


DK & The Fluffies said...

Oh that sweet little flower!

egretsnest said...

Lovely. I wish I'd heard about Poem in Your Pocket Day sooner -- I'd have loved doing that with my students.

dguzman said...


Mary said...

It's the cutest little flower. Makes me smile.

Pagan Sphinx said...

Thanks for sharing The Poem In Your Pocket. Lovely choice. I came over via Bobbie.