Saturday, December 13, 2008

North shore ducks

We did a mini-tour of the coastal ponds of the northern part of my county today for ducks. All the usuals were around, but they seem to have changed ponds since last week. It's funny how the pond that last week held so many wigeon and coot, this week had mostly hoodies. I still haven't found any canvasbacks or redheads - maybe it's still too early or I'm not looking in the best spots.

I'm sharing just this one pic... wigeon are a favorite, mostly for their silly little call.

Tomorrow I hope to find some salt water ducks - mergansers and bufflehead and long-tailed ducks. Maybe that snowy owl finally, too.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Our over-wintering mergansers, buffleheads, goldeneyes and long-tailed ducks hang out happily together in our fresh-water rivers and lakes. They are a refreshing change of scenery from the mallards and geese of summer.

Mary said...

At least you have seen Hoodies. My favorite pond is duckless. I'll need to find another pond or lake next week.

dguzman said...

You know how I love those widgeons and their little "I'm a WIDG-eon!" squeaky call.

Unknown said...

Good post!!!
I like your blog a lot. Nice photos too.

NoGoodGuitarPicker said...

Wigeon are so fun! My current desktop wallpaper is a couple drakes on a snowy bank. Our 4-yr-old daughter is in charge of calling them when she tags along on hunts, their peep-PEEP-pip-peep is just so easy. We've seen more of them around here (Snake River near Marsing, ID) this year than we ever have before.

Great photo!