Saturday, March 11, 2006

Pond fairy

The pond fish are awake and begging to be fed today. It's still too soon; around April 1st I'll start feeding them a few cheerios every couple of days. After a few weeks of this light feeding I can then start them on a higher protein food once the weather, and their metabolism, is geared-up for it.

Right now, the pond is a depressing sight, nothing like this mid-summer photo from a few years ago. It's full of leaves and the water is a yucky brownish color. We have a lot of work ahead of us to get it in shape, but I look forward to being able to putter around by the pond in the evening again.

2 comments:

Endment said...

Your pond is lovely.

Ours is all apart, plants in containers in the basement and in plastic bags. I can hardly wait for it to stay warm enough to set it up again

LauraHinNJ said...

I'd love to know how you keep plants alive in your basement. Do you bring in even the hardy plants?