Thursday, May 07, 2009

A nearly shameless plug

This Saturday is World Series Day here in NJ when teams of birders set out to find as many species as possible in one day. I'll be out there, for the 11th year in a row, with the Sandy Hook Century Run Team. My first year, it rained buckets all day and I'm afraid the weather is shaping up to be the same this Saturday.

Migration is at its peak in NJ during this, the second week in May, and all told World Series teams have raised more than 8 million dollars through the years for conservation causes.

Our team is birding in support of the
Sandy Hook Bird Observatory where I volunteer and I'd love it if you'd toss some money our way! A fun way to pledge is an amount per species... we usually see between 120 - 130 species from dawn to dusk.

So far I have pledges for 37 1/2 cents per species... I'm hoping to get that to $2.00 per species. Leave me a comment if you'd like to pledge.

Thanks! Wish us luck!

4 comments:

LauraHinNJ said...

An anonymous donor has upped the current pledge amount to $42.5 cents per bird. Anyone?

;-)

RG said...

I'm in for 10 cents a bird. Add it on.

If it rains here I'm sitting inside and thinking about you all!

Good luck.

LauraHinNJ said...

Thanks Rabbit's Guy! It's gorgeous today so I'm hoping the weather will hold for most of the day at least.

Another anonymous donor has pledged $1.00 per species.

(Wow!)

MevetS said...

I'm in for .48 per species. Which by my count gets you to $2.005 / species.


Now for the challenge grant! :-)

If you get 155 or more I'm in for $1.00 a species.

We got 154 last year, my only time playing and were in the top 20! Woo Hoo!. Alas, my team fell apart this year.

Good luck and have fun.