Sunday, July 05, 2009

Naming the dragons

"What's the use of their having names," the Gnat said, "if they won't answer to them?"

"No use to them," said Alice, "but it's useful to the people that name them, I suppose."

-- Lewis Carrol

A person who goes traveling to far-flung places with the express purpose of seeing things should, I guess, be concerned with the naming of those things.

I rather enjoy the mystery, and the magic, of meeting these fierce-looking creatures in their own strange paradise of wet meadows and sunny paths through the forest without knowing much at all about them.

Their names don't much matter when I find them basking in the sun on a weathered plank bridge or stunned with the chill off one of the Great Lakes. Theirs is a world entire and to be allowed entry, however briefly with the lens of my camera, is enough.


Mostly.

;-)

Some are so beautiful, so otherworldly, their faces so expressive...

or their existence so threatened that even the shimmer of an iridescent wing is enough to inspire me to learn more.

For those of you Type A personalities that just HAVE TO KNOW (grin) each photo is tagged with a name, as best I can guess or remember. Click on each to enlarge.

8 comments:

RG said...

Way more kinds than I knew exist! What I remember is them sitting on the bobber while fishing away a fine afternoon in a little lake in Northern Lower Michigan with Grandpa! Especially good if my big sister was NOT along :<)

RG said...

Kind of off the wall ... but, Bunny Lady just read that at the New Jersey State Fair you can get deep-fried Snickers on a stick! Me and Snickers are like bunnies and nananas. Are you able to report on this?????

LauraHinNJ said...

Sounds likely! I do know of deep-fried Twinkies...

(ick)

;-)

(I'm more of a Zeppole-gal.)

Jayne said...

They are wonderful Laura! Great shots!

Patrick B. said...

I can confirm through word of mouth that there are indeed deep-fried snickers at that fair and deep-fried oreos. I highly recommend deep-fried pickles.

Gorgeous photos. I think the second photo is some type of emerald - probably one of the Baskettails.

ReluctantChickenFarmer said...

Did you know that the sound of the wings of dragon flies deters mosquitoes ? I guess they are mosquito predators. They make those electronic mosquito things using that sound.

LauraHinNJ said...

Kev: I have a couple of great shots that I'll post another day that proves just that.

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful, Laura. Thanks for the invite over!

Also just read about your pocket full of mussel shells. Glad I am not the only one who does that. Sounds like you had a pleasant vacation.