Friday, August 14, 2009

A coffee story

I read the sweetest little book by Julia Alvarez yesterday evening... A Cafecito Story: A Story of Love, Coffee, Birds, and Hope.

;-)

My coworker
Linda, mi pana, is from the Dominican Republic and has been trying to sell me on Julia Alvarez for months. Mostly she writes something like historical fiction that spans the divide between her childhood in DR and her adult life here in the US. I enjoy the poetic way she often writes and this little book suited my short attention span of late.

It tells the story of one man's love affair with a good cup of coffee and how the challenge of growing coffee under the shade of trees, where songbirds come to sing over the ripening coffee beans, ultimately inspires an organic shade-grown coffee company and a community.
Cafe Alta Gracia is the name of that company and their coffee is available for sale through the Vermont Coffee Company.

Anyone tried it or have a favorite to recommend?

3 comments:

KGMom said...

I'm a coffee lover, so I will have to check this out.
Had not heard of it, but I have heard of fair trade coffee, shade grown.

LauraHinNJ said...

Thanks, Donna... I knew there had to be at least one person out there who loves coffee!

;-)

I mostly prefer my coffee weak... so the specialty coffee take a bit of getting used to for me.

Jayne said...

I ordered some to try too Laura. How fun to sample something when you learn about it's origins! Thanks for the tip!