Friday, December 11, 2009

3/100

This is Will. I don't know much about him, but we met that day among the photographers at Conowingo. He has a couple galleries on SmugMug... some nice pics there.

I anticipated being able to take a fair number of *easy* stranger pics that day, but found the prospect of approaching other photographers much more daunting than I'd expected it to be. At some point during the day, with a false sense of bravado, I set out to find the guy with the most intimidating camera gear and the least approachable face. I walked up and down the line of people spread out along the shore below the dam and just couldn't make myself do it.

;-)

Will didn't have a very big lens, but he also isn't very friendly-looking... until you get to his eyes... there's the faintest hint of a smile brewing there, I think. I like that it's obvious on his face... in those wrinkles... that he spends a lot of time outdoors.

This photo is #3 in my 100 strangers project. Find out more about the project and see pictures taken by other photographers at Flickr 100 Strangers or www.100Strangers.com

6 comments:

RG said...

I enjoyed the Father post - hard to comment on! Fatherin' is sometimes a hard job and many of us don't often think we do too well.

Do you have to ask the person to take their picture? You can't just take it secretly from farther away?? Does the person have to give you a release to use it?

R.Powers said...

So, that's where these crows feet came from.
Congrats on number 3.

Jayne said...

Funny how it's almost harder to ask 'photographers' if they'd mind being photographed! Great shot, Laura. :c)

KGMom said...

Hmmm--Laura--I don't know if I would be able to handle approaching unapproachable looking strangers and asking if you can photograph them.
Just be careful.

Larry said...

I always feel awkward about photographing anyone because I don't like being photographed myself.I would find a project like that difficult.-Good job.

jason said...

Another exceptional capture, Laura. And I envy you the bravery. I'll say it again: I'm not sure I could do it, though seeing your work makes me think the challenge is very much worth the reward.