Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Snow birds

A snow day literally and figuratively falls from the sky, unbidden, and seems like a thing of wonder. 
 -Susan Orlean


We had snow today in Atlanta... real snow that caused my school to shut down early. I just saw on the TV that school's closed tomorrow too... a snow day!

I spent the afternoon watching the birds in their snow-induced feeding frenzy. I sat on the warm couch and photographed them through the window as they scavenged bits of dropped seeds and suet or quenched their thirst at the flowerpot saucer I kept unfrozen with warm water.

I'm happiest to see the bluebirds so close; we have four or five at time at the suet feeder when the weather is especially cold. They bring other nice birds with them. A couple of yellow-rumped warblers are often around and occasionally a ruby-crowned kinglet even visits!

Pine warblers... we have what seems like a lot of pine warblers. It's hard to know for sure how many there are because the males chase everyone else away from the feeder.

And they chase everyone else off their perch on the fence.

And they don't like to share the flowerpot saucer, either. Such pretty birds, like a ray of bright sunshine. It's still odd to me to see them in wintertime, but what a treat!

2 comments:

Mary said...

That Mourning Dove is exquisite, Laura. We are closed tomorrow, too! I will be making another large batch of suet for the bluebirds.

Lovely post. Snowflakes in Georgia ;)

Anonymous said...

So nice to see all that beautiful color there in winter.