Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Veggie garden

This looks rather promising, doesn't it? Yes, it's only lettuce and anybody can grow it, but still I'm encouraged! The new *fortress* my husband built around the garden seems to be working at keeping the critters out. Last night I picked some lettuce, kale, basil, parsley and salad burnet for the bunnies. We've also planted tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers, but they're not worth photographing yet. Those plants just sit and look at you in NJ gardens until mid-July at the earliest. The zucchini grows at least a foot overnight it seems. The gourds are finely starting to sprout along the bottom of the trellis. The broccoli plants have tiny little broccoli thingies (florettes?) There is much weeding to be done since this photo was taken a week ago and the shed snow of locust flowers have blown away. I guess we'll need to fertilize soon, although I think the winter's worth of bunny poop turned into the garden should give the plants a healthy start. Free fertilizer is another *benefit* I can add to my list of reasons to keep a houseful of bunnies.

If you'd like to see a humorous account of a previous foray into veggie gardening, read Scorched earth: our first attempt at a vegetable garden. Please do wish us luck this time. We've learned; we're laying off the mulch!

4 comments:

Susan Gets Native said...

Yum...can't wait for my own lettuce.
I absolutely love your "Scorched Earth" post. I saw it when you first put it up and I just howled. We should get your brother and my father-in-law together.
On second thought, maybe not.
;-)

Endment said...

Your garden is lovely...
I am still chuckling and cackling about your scorched earth --- thanks so much they say laughter is a good medicine. ;-)

Pam in Tucson said...

Thanks for a great laugh from scorched earth. All good wishes for your garden this time around.

MojoMan said...

Hey! That looks just like MY woodchuck!